I’m Still Married Roast Beef
- 2.5 pound beef roast (pick your favorite cut, I like round)
- 2 Tbls butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small yellow onion sliced in thick slices
- 1/8 tsp seasoning salt (I like Tony Chachers’s Creole Seasoning but any will do fine, use your favorite)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp Â Herbs de Providence (optional)
- 1/4 tsp Â Red pepper flakes (optional)
1. Â Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Â Slice garlic cloves into thick slices. Â Cut slices into roast just big enough to insert garlic slices to about the middle of the meat.
3. Â I like to rub plenty of salt and pepper to all sides of the roast but you can use as little or as much as you like.
4. Â In a dutch oven over med high heat melt 2 Tbls butter. Â Brown roast on all sides.
5. Â Remove from heat. Â Add water to pot. Sprinkle sage, season salt, red pepper flakes, and Herbs de Providence on top of roast. Â Add onion slices.
6. Â Cover and bake in oven for aprox 2 hrs or until it’s done to your desired temperature. Â If you like your meat still mooing you may want to cut the time by 1/2 hour.
7. Â When the roast is done remove from oven. Â You can use the juice from the pot now to make gravy if you choose.
- 1 Tbls butter
- 2 Tbls flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 tsp sage
- juice from cooked roast
In a medium skillet melt butter over med heat. Â Add flour and using aÂ whiskÂ stir till there are no lumps. Â Remove from heat. Add cold water. Â ContinueÂ stirringÂ till it starts getting pasty. Â Then add sage and the pot roast juice. Â Return to burner. Â Continue to stir till it thickens. Â Note: if it doesn’t thicken, like mine refuses to do from time to time, you can always just use this concoction as Au Jus. Â Hubby won’t even know the difference if you don’t tell him. Â Just make sure to sift out any flour lumps if you choose this direction.